Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Last night: Slovakia

Image Source,Photobucket Uploader Firefox Extension

We made Bryndzové halušky, a traditional potato dumpling dish

Photobucket

I peeled and shredded the potatoes, added salt, egg and flour, then processed the mixture into a dough.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then, I boiled the dumplings.

Photobucket

I had to improvise since Slovakian fresh sheep cheese is not available here. I mixed mizythra and Mascarpone cheese in an attempt to give the sheep cheese flavor and a fresh soft cheese consistency.

Photobucket

I put the cheese over the dumplings, then added fried pancetta (as a substitute for salt pork because for whatever reason I couldn't find any today) and diced chives.

Photobucket

Finished product:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Results:

For having never made dumplings before, I was pleasantly surprised. The cheese really made this dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment