Thursday, July 1, 2010

Last night: Greece

Image Source,Photobucket Uploader Firefox Extension

We made moussaka and baklava.

Moussaka:

Photobucket

First, I prepared the eggplant by peeling strips of the skin, cutting 1/2 inch slices, salting and placing in a colander with weight on top to draw out the moisture.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I then rinsed the salt off and dried. Next I separated some eggs and dredged the eggplant in egg white and bread crumbs, then placed on a cooking sheet and baked.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Meanwhile, I boiled potatoes, drained, let cool, sliced, and placed in a prepared cassarole dish that had been greased and sprinkled with bread crumbs.

Photobucket

For the meat, I browned ground lamb, added diced onion, garlic, red wine, cinnamon, allspice, parsley, tomato paste, fresh crushed tomatoes (blanched with skins removed), sugar, salt, and pepper.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I put the baked eggplant slices over the potatoes, dusted with Parmesan cheese, and covered with the meat mix then another layer of eggplant.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I then made a Béchamel sauce and added egg yolk and nutmeg.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I poured the Béchamel sauce into the casserole dish, sprinkled with Parmesan cheese, and baked.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Baklava:

Photobucket

I laid out and buttered the phyllo dough, stacked, added layers of dough, butter and chopped walnut/cinnamon mix, cut and baked.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

While baking, I made a sauce with simple syrup, honey and vanilla extract. I removed the pastry from the oven and spooned the sauce over it.

Photobucket

While cooking, I enjoyed a bit of Metaxa.

Photobucket

Finished product:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Results: Very time consuming for a mid-week dish, but it was worth not eating until after 10pm. Sarah, who does not normally like eggplant, really liked the moussaka. The spiced meat was delicious. Would make again, but I'd start it before 6pm next time. Baklava is Sarah's favorite dessert and did not disappoint. The hardest part is waiting for it to cool before eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment