Monday, July 5, 2010

Last Night: USA

Image Source,Photobucket Uploader Firefox Extension

I'm from the USA and this was our Independence Day, so I went all out. We made Texas style smoked brisket and ribs with corn bread, ranch beans, smoked almonds and a patriotic yellow cake.

Smoked meat:

Photobucket

Photobucket

First, I made a dry rub, slightly different for the brisket and the ribs, made of paprika, chili powder, salt, brown sugar, cumin, black pepper, cayenne pepper, coriander, and oregano.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then I set the meat to smoke over lump mesquite charcoal and soaked mixed hardwood chips.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Texas Ranch beans:

Photobucket

First I soaked the beans overnight. Then I put in the crock pot slow cooker the onions, garlic, bacon, beans and water to cover, and cooked for 6 hours on low.

Photobucket

Then I added salt, pepper, canned tomatoes, green pepper, sugar and Tapatio hot sauce and transferred to a pot on the stove to reduce the liquid.

Photobucket

Smoked Almonds

Photobucket

I cooked the almonds in butter on the stove top until well sauteed, then drained.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then I added seasoned salt, sugar, and onion powder and set on the smoker.

Photobucket

My Uncle Bob was an almond farmer and was a spokesman for Blue Diamond Almonds. He was a straight shooting salt of the earth kind of guy, and we will miss him. He started pitching almonds back in the 1980s, and many of you may recognize him and/or the ad campaign "A can a week, that's all we ask". I've been all over the country over the last 20 years, and he would always pop up in the most out of the way places.

Photobucket

He was a constant in my life, even if I didn't actually talk to him very often. Seeing his face on an advertisement was enough to remind me of where I am from. He was a role model, a veteran, a man's man, and I am proud to have known him. RIP Uncle Bob.

Corn bread:

Photobucket

We mixed the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, eggs, milk, oil, and salt.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Yellow Cake:

Photobucket

We made a cake then decorated the whipped cream frosting, blueberries and strawberries into a flag.

Photobucket

Beer:

Bar-b-que demands beer. We went with northern California beer.

Photobucket

Final Product:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Results: The meat was quite spicy - the ribs were too spicy for the kids. Everything else was fantastic - especially the beans. We chose Texas bar-b-que over other regional fare because Texas has unique, fantastic bar-b-que and it seems the most fitting for Independence Day.

Also, go buy a can of Blue Diamond almonds. A can a week, that's all we ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment