Thursday, July 1, 2010

Tonight: England

Image Source,Photobucket Uploader Firefox Extension

We made fish and chips.

Photobucket

I made the batter by pouring a bottle of beer into a bowl and letting it get warm and flat. Then I sifted flour and salt into a mixing bowl, added the beer, egg yolk, and oil, whisked together til smooth and let set.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I peeled and cut the potatoes, soaked in cold water, heated the oil, dried the potatoes and fried the chips.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I seasoned the fish (I used local rock fish), beat an egg white until stiff, then folded the egg white into the batter.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I dredged the fish in flour, then dipped in batter, then into the oil.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Finished product served with Bass Ale and malt vinegar:

Photobucket

Results: Fish and chips are standard fare around here too, but not the same style. We usually don't peel our chips and leave them in larger wedges. We also serve on a platter with tartar sauce and ketchup with a slice of lemon. Sometimes panko is added to the batter.

I like this version. A side by side comparison with our normal recipe would be interesting. Another local twist on fish and chips is that salmon is used instead of white fish. Salmon fish and chips is quite good and I recommend trying it. Not everywhere in the states has fish and chips figured out however. I was in southern California a while back and ordered fish and chips. I was asked if I wanted fries with that. Sigh.

2 comments:

  1. I have never particularly liked salmon fish and chips, maybe because I have always used batter intended for halibut.

    What oil temp do you generally use when frying fish?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah the batter should be pretty dry for salmon.

    I set the fryer at 375, which is as high as it goes.

    ReplyDelete